Friday, November 16, 2012

Steamed Huat Kueh 蒸发糕

Not alot of people these days like to eat Huat Kueh. I know it will probably be the older folks whom will like this kueh. For me, I do quite like it. What about you? Well, in fact, I found out that some of my colleagues and friends actually do like this Huat Kueh as well. What a surprise...:))
I used to have an excellent recipe for Huat Kueh too, but I seemed to have misplaced it when I moved house couple of years back... So I was waiting to see if I will ever come across a similar recipe which I vividly remembered what are the ingredients that were being used. Browsing in FB in the Baking Wonderland, I finally saw this recipe, and I decided to give it a try...
Yes, this recipe was excellent. It has given the Huat Kueh a very smooth and moist texture. We all liked it very much. Homemade Huat Kueh, or rather should I say, homemades will always be the best:-D
Steamed Huat Kueh 蒸发糕
食谱来自黄薇瑜
250g 黑糖 palm sugar
400g 自发面粉 self raising flour
300ml 椰浆奶 coconut milk
100ml 水 water

Method:
1。将黑糖和面粉过筛混合 Sift the palm sugar and flour together。
2。把椰浆和水倒入混合。Mix coconut milk and water together。
3。把第2步骤加入第1步骤混合均匀。Pour coconut mixture into the flour mixture,mix until well combined。
4。把面糊倒入纸杯 80%满,切个"X"在面糊上,蒸15-20分钟。Pour batter into cupcake case, cut a "X" on the batter and steam for 15-20 mins。

For better fragrant, I think we can boiled the coconut milk, water & palm sugar over low heat to enhance the taste.
I am submitting this to Aspiring Bakers #25 – Steaming Hot Cakes (November 2012) hosted by Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders. 

14 comments:

  1. Your huat kueh really "huat"!! Perfectly made! Looks so good, I don't mind having Huat Kueh once in a while! Lovely with some warm tea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huat ah! Your huat kueh really blossomed nicely.
    It's great that you managed to get your huat kueh to open up so nicely by just using SR flour and not using baking soda :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so delicious! I like it very much...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charmaine,
    Your Huat Kueh smiling soo... lovely.
    I must bookmark this..heehee
    mui..^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! These Huat Kuehs look really Hwatt! LOL After looking at all your awesome steamed cakes, now I wanted to try & make some my self. hehehehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. this recipe seems simple enough to make huat kuehs and is indeed a beautiful huat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just made steamed cake with palm sugar, not like huat kueh texture, but taste yummy too
    palm sugar is the true essence in steamed cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Hi Ladies, thanks for all the lovel compliments.

    Indeed the huat keuh had "huated" very nicely, and of course the texture was great in my opinion. And I hope you will find this recipe wonderful as much as I did:-p

    Enjoy:-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. dear...how come my huat kueh cannot rise when i steam? what did i do wrong...i am so sad...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan u got use high heat when steaming?

      Delete
  10. Fantastically easy recipe! I just made a beautiful huat huat batch, thank you for sharing! I would cook the coconut milk next time w pandan leaves and real gula Malacca. I just felt although these are divine, something seems to be lacking. My mom used to make them so aromatic until she lost the recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  11. May i know if cook the palm.sugar, coconut milk n water, need to wait it cold then mix with the flour...??i intend to trial first, then make for my move in day to my new home to symbolise the huatness....hehe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Low, medium, or high heat to steam the cake?

    ReplyDelete

May Mimi Bakery House bring some fun & joy to everyone out there, who are as keen in baking as I am.