Wednesday, January 8, 2014

♧Chocolate & Almond Orange Cookies♧

I ♡ Chinese New Year!!!
Do you???
Well, for me, it's not because I can get 红包, over qualified for them now..:-( Looking on the brighter side is because I can get to eat plenty cookies... This is probably the festive season where you I can find some good excuses to indulged in these cookies...:-p


I was flipping through my Yum Yum Magazine, looking at the new year dishes recipes and even new year cookies recipes... This Chocolate & Almond Orange Cookies sound interesting. I have always loved oranges in any types of bakes. It gives the bakes a tangerine aroma & taste.


I have halved this recipe and it probably could yield about 40 cookies...depending on the thickness of your cookies.
The dough is manageable but it is a little dry to get the dough to roll up uniformly as a log. I have squashed some orange juice into the dough, hoping to moisture the dough, and in addition to add more tangerine taste in these cookies.


No doubts about it!!!
These cookies are absolutely divine!!!
Love the aroma n taste of the orange...the slightly toasted almond flakes....
I will recommend you to try this cookies if you are an orange fan like me... hehehe...
Perhaps I could have used a little more cocoa powder to get a slightly darker chocolate colour...


Nope, probably wouldn't be really baking these cookies for Chinese New Year... Joining in the fun and experimenting new recipes with everyone.
I still prefer buying these cookies during this festive season, maybe it is the thrill and to have the "mood/feel". 

Recipe as adapted from Yum Yum Magazine 87
By 郭子仁 

Ingredients
250g butter
180g icing sugar
1 egg
400g plain flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
30g cocoa powder
150g almond flakes, lighty toasted
Grated zest of 2 oranges
(I squashed some orange juice into the mixture to obtain more tangerine smell & taste and also to moisture the dough)

Method:
1. Preheat oven. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
2. Cream butter and sugar until well mixed. Add in egg and continue to beat until fluffy.
3. Add in the remaining ingredients and mix into a dough.
4. Roll the dough into a log and freeze for 1 hour.
5. Cut the dough into 6mm thick slices and place onto the baking tray.
6. Bake in a preheated oven at 170°C for about 15~18 mins or until lightly brown. Remove and leave to cool before storing.

Do join Frozen Wings, Kitchen Flavours and Bake for Happy Kids  and other bakers in this Bake-Along



9 comments:

  1. Hi Mimi,

    I have been home for Chinese New Year since 2004!!! CNY is very quiet here in Australia and it never the same... sob sob. Nevermind... At least, glad that I'm enjoying all these CNY moods plus your delicious CNY cookies with blogging.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesh...Australia would be more of a relaxed lifestyle..I know they probably stop work by 4pm? And happy hour starts after that..kekeke...
      Though the CNY mood of ours few decades ago was different from today's..but yes.. our CNY cookies blogging added fun for ourselves;))

      Delete
  2. I love Chinese New Year too! I've been indulging quite a bit on the cookies that I think I'm getting a sore throat... oops! These cookies look delicious and I love the plentiful almond flakes inside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kekeke..Jasline...you beta stop your cookies indulgence for now..prepare for the real battle in 3weeks time...yes... i would think so that my cookies are usually gone and QC by me before CNY.. Nw hub n I hv started on our ba-gua...oopsie...

      Delete
  3. this is one flavourful and texture-ful cookie! great bite to entertain guests

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely cookies! I love oranges in bakes too! And it has my favourite almonds too, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm feeling the same way like you too that i dont think i will be baking a lot of cookies..just a few small batches :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Ladies..these cookies are very oriental..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mimi, Looks lovely & I bet they're flavourful with orange ! YUM!

    ReplyDelete

May Mimi Bakery House bring some fun & joy to everyone out there, who are as keen in baking as I am.