Monday, August 11, 2014

Shanghai Mooncakes 上海月饼

What do you think of my Shanghai Mooncakes???

Finally putting my Mooncake Sonata Book, 花前月下 by Alan Ooi, to good use... :P
I bought this book 3 years ago when I first started baking, I had bought all the ingredients then but I'd never started on any. 

This year, I have tried 2 recipes, my previous one, Traditional Mooncakes 传统月饼 and today, these Shanghai Mooncakes.


For a change, instead of the lotus paste, we preferred the red bean fillings, plus the most important factor that my little fussy girls would eat the red bean paste. This time round, I had remembered to put in the melon seeds into the red bean paste.


These Shanghai Mooncakes were very easily made... For those who would be skeptical about making the Traditional Mooncakes, this could be an easier option. Just prepare the dough and filling and assembly them together. (See method-diagram below)


The original recipe had called for a 50g-portion for both mooncake pastry & filling, but I liked mine in a small version, so I made them into 30g-portion.

These "mini" Shanghai Mooncakes, which I felt, were a more appropriate portion for a one-time consumption... :P


Unlike the Traditional Mooncakes, these Shanghai Mooncakes were more on the biscuit/cake texture, with a very light & soft milky flavor of the crust.



Shanghai Mooncakes 上海月饼
Recipe adapted from 花前月下 by Alan Ooi





Ingredients 材料

A (Mooncake Pastry 月饼皮)
150g plain flour 普通面粉
50g icing sugar 糖粉
25g full cream milk powder 全脂奶粉
12g custard powder 蛋黄粉
3/4 tsp baking powder 发粉
50g shortening 白油
25g margarine 菜油 ( I used butter 黄油)
1 egg 鸡蛋

B (Fillings 馅料)
300g sugarfree red bean paste (store bought) 无糖红豆沙
some melon seeds 瓜子



Method:

Mooncake pastry月饼皮
Mix all ingredients until well combined. Divide into 10 x 33g round dough. (My final dough weighs about 332g)
将所有材料混合拌匀。分成10份,每份33克 (面团332克)。

Fillings 馅料:
Prepare 10 x 30g red bean paste mixed with melon seeds.
预备馅料 (红豆沙+瓜子混合),分成10份,每份30克。

Assembly合并:
Wrap fillings with mooncake pastry. Roll into balls and shape them to your desired shape. Place the dough on the lined baking tray. 
馅料裹入饼皮内,捏成圆形,派在烤盘上。
Brush the top with beaten egg yolk and place some melon seeds on top.
涂上蛋液及占上瓜子仁。
Bake in a preheated oven at 190C for about 20-25 minutes until golden brown.. (I baked at 175C for about 20 minutes)
放入于热烤箱,以烘烤20至25分金黄色即可。





Do link back to MiMi Bakery House if you have used any information as published in this blog.


This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs up organised by Doreen from my little favourite DIY and Zoe, Bake for Happy Kids, hosted by Diana from Domestic Goddess Wannabe at this post.
 



This post will also be linked to Cook-Your-Book #15 with Joyce from Kitchen Flavours
 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg 

This post will also be linked to Best Recipes For Everyone August Event : Mooncakes, hosted by Fion of XuanHoms' Mom Kitchen Diary

6 comments:

  1. think? no need to think... anything you make is goooooooddddddd (in deep german voice)... i love your cubic looking mooncakes... cute and bite size

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Charmaine, I would like to try your Shanghai mooncake ^-^!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya...mini size is suit for me too...
    Thanks for linking wit Best Recipes^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Charmaine,
    You are so hard working with making mooncakes! They look wonderful and your family is lucky to have homemade mooncakes for snacking!
    Thanks for linking with CYB!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Charmaine, this was your first time making this?? WOW!

    ReplyDelete

May Mimi Bakery House bring some fun & joy to everyone out there, who are as keen in baking as I am.